Saturday, March 19, 2011

The follow up post for yonks ago - my bad.

So I know it was a while ago that I posted about the whole egg donation thingo but I forgot all about it because after I did my homework I realized I couldn't do it.

I'll just give you a rundown of the procedure from what I understand of it.

First off, once all the interviews and blah blah's have happened and you've found someone you're going to donate to you have to have a check up which requires blood tests and ultrasounds to assess the health of your ovaries and check access for egg pick up etc. If all is well you then have to sync your menstrual cycle with the 'receiver's'. This is done by either injections or nasal spray and the cycling sync procedure can take from anywhere between 14-30 days. You first have to take this medication to suppress the ovaries from ovulating and then again to stimulate the ovaries to produce multiple follicles (to produce multiple eggs) - this is an injection. During this time you have blood tests and ultrasounds to monitor your ovaries to make sure you don't over stimulate or under stimulate. 36 hrs before egg pick up, a trigger injection is needed to release the eggs, to aid pick up. Day surgery admission for Egg Pick Up, with fasting both food and drink after 12am the night before. A light anesthetic is given to be ‘out’ for about an hour while the doctor picks up your eggs. This is done using a needle and needle guide through a vaginal transducer. The fluid in the follicles is drained, and the eggs are then taken for fertilisation.

So that's roughly the procedure, if you're interested in more info check this link

So, problems pour moi:

1. Having my hymen still intact, a slight (massive) problem for the ultrasounds and egg pickup. And I really wouldn't like my first time to be some sort of metal device. Sorry if that's crude.

2. Clinics generally won't let anyone who hasn't had at least one child (if not already completed their families) to donate, I suppose this is for the psychological effects.

3. Even if I was eligible, Victorian laws do not allow 'anonymous' donations. Meaning the child would always have access to me... but I still haven't decided where I stand on this point. But no matter, I'd have no choice anyway.

So yeah, that's me. And I'm kinda relieved that I didn't get the choice... it was too big for me to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.