Thursday, September 1, 2011

Word to the wise.

Whatever you do, don't trust anyone else's sense of aesthetics.

Poor me.

Went to QLD on the weekend for my cousin's wedding (who I hadn't seen for 17 years) and so given the occasion I decided I was going to get my make-up done professionally - I wanted to make a good impression ok?? (see what I did there?).
So anyway, I pre-booked a salon right, got to Brisbane, met my beautician (told her my dress was cream and told her I was going for the natural look with emphasis on the eyes - she seemed all for it), got taken out to the beauty rooms, seated, head back, eyes closed, all seemed well.

We talked. She painted. I liked her. She finished.

Look, I don't like to judge but it seemed to me after what I was shown as a finished product, that she was off her rocker, or maybe there's some new age definition of "natural", or maybe she was just having me on and was going to fix it before letting me out in public.. but she didn't.

I didn't take a picture, I thought about it but I decided I didn't want any one to see me like that.. not even for laughs..so you'll have to use your imagination.

I looked like an A-grade transvestite. My foundation was caked on, she'd used gold eyeshadow near my brow bone and under my eyes with dark brown eyeshadow on the lid and crease, flicking the corners up towards my eyebrow (you know, reserved for the vampire look), no eyeliner, the tiniest amount of mascara. My cheekbones were sharply "highlighted" with an earthy red blush. As she was doing my lips she was telling me she would put a stain on under the lipstick so that when I ate I would still have a bit of colour and wouldn't look too pale - I was expecting a soft pink or something. It almost looked black.

I almost gagged at the sight of myself. I couldn't believe she was for real.

I couldn't complain cos I liked her and I'd feel bad but it was so NOT what I was after. I barely managed an eyebrow raise and a "cool". Apparently she loved it.

Paid $65 for that only to wipe it off and go straight to the chemist for supplies to fix it.

Disaster. Never again.







No comments: