Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Deny thy father and refuse thy name"

.. but if thou wilt not be but sworn, my love, And I'll no longer be a Capulet...

So I have a dilemma. I've been thinking about changing my name for a while now and I've even started filling out the forms to make it legal. Trouble is, I 'm still not 100% about doing it.. for various reasons. So, I've decided to create a pros and cons list to a) organize my thoughts and b) answer everyone's "why?" question.

To be:
(pros to changing)

  •  Maureen = an eccentric old lady with eight cats and an obsession for lace doilies
  • to avoid the snigger/snort/chortle/giggle after saying my name
  • Maureen-Heidi is too long and the combination doesn't have the right rhythm
  • There are much, much nicer names
  • I can have 'Maureen' as a middle name and thus actually have a middle name
  • It get's confused with 'Marie' a LOT.. so much to the point where I can no longer be bothered correcting people
  • It's ugly. For further explanation on this point, please see Glen's blog.
or Not to be:
(cons to changing)

  • It's grandma's middle name.. she might get offended (not that she really needs to know.. I'm sure I'll still answer to it)
  • having to find a suitable name that is a) not tacky b) suits me and c) not plain but not overdone
  • having to do all the respective paperwork after changing it ie. passport, bank accounts, licence, so on and so forth
  • parental units will be against it (that's not a biggie though)
  • expecting that everyone I know will call me by my new name is not realistic
That's all I can think of now but I'm sure I'll get bombarded with further reasons later which I'll add.

But maybe I can just drop the Maureen part and go with Heidi, it wouldn't be such a big change... little curly-haired Swiss goat girl or super hot sex bomb model?

That is the question.

No comments: